Deregistering from Social Security: A Step-by-Step Guide

Deregistering From Social Security

Deregistering from Social Security is not as easy as you might think. To deregister, you must first contact your local social security office and request a deregistration form. After completing the form, you must submit it to the Social Insurance Agency along with a copy of your ID card and proof of address.

As soon as the Social Insurance Institution has processed your application, you will receive a confirmation letter. You must then submit this confirmation letter to your employer so that they can remove you from their payroll.

If you are an employee who wants to opt out of Social Security, this article will walk you through the process step-by-step.

Definition of deregistration

The employer is responsible for reporting the termination of an employment relationship subject to social security contributions to the social security system. The social security system then calculates all of the employee's insurance and wage claims based on the information and data reported by the employer.

A reporting period of six weeks is the maximum period an employer must comply with. Compliance with this deadline is essential for the employee's insurance coverage.

Late deregistration can also lead to suspicion of illegal employment (undeclared work). The rules for deregistration are laid down in the Labor Code IV (SGB IV) (26b to 28c).

In addition, the notification is subject to the Data Collection and Transmission Ordinance (DEÜV).

You can submit this notification for a variety of reasons, for example:

  • Termination of employment
  • Change of health insurance company or contribution
  • Group unresolved labour conflict (longer than three months)
  • Death of the employee

When submitting information electronically, the reason for deregistration plays a decisive role. The reasons for deregistration are included in the notification as two-digit numbers with the initials of the individual deregistration. In addition, the DEUEV provides detailed critical figures for each of the reasons for deregistration, including:

  • Termination of an employment relationship up to 30 days
  • Change of health insurance by 31 Change of
  • contribution group required 32
  • In addition to the change of employment, 33
  • A more extended break in employment (more than one month): 34
  • Strikes by more than one-month duration: 35
  • Currency conversion or invoicing is done by 36
  • Upon termination of your short-term employment, you must 40
  • Death of an employee: 49

It is possible to report for various reasons, which include up to 70 code numbers.

When do I have to unsubscribe?

After termination of employment, you must deregister with your employer. Your employer then reports the termination of the employment relationship to the social security office. The following cases are considered a termination of employment:

  • You have been made redundant
  • You have resigned from your job
  • Your contract has expired and has not been renewed
  • You have died

Your employer must report the termination of your employment within six weeks. If your employer does not report the termination, he can be fined.

How can I deregister in London?

You can deregister in person, by post or online.

In-person: You can deregister in person at your local Social Security office. You will need to bring a copy of your ID and address proof.

By post: You can deregister by sending a completed deregistration form to your local social security office. You must enclose a copy of your ID and proof of address.

Online: You can opt-out online by logging into your account on the Social Security website. You will need a copy of your identity card and proof of address. 


Employee scheduling and Time-tracking software!

  • Easy Employee scheduling
  • Clear time-tracking
  • Simple absence management
Try for free Request a demo

What do I need to unsubscribe?

To deregister, you must take a completed deregistration form to your local social security office. You must enclose a copy of your ID and proof of address.

You can find the same form online or at your local social security office.

I forgot to log out. What should I do?

In order to register an apartment, you must live there. Don't forget to visit the residents' registration office. You must ensure that your registration details are correct. If you don't do this, you can expect a penalty. So don't forget to visit the admissions office. You may also want to issue a forwarding order so that letters can be sent directly to your new place of residence arrive.

What happens if I don't unsubscribe?

You are still considered an active member unless you opt out of Social Security. This means that you still have to pay contributions and are not entitled to benefits. In addition, your employer can be fined for not reporting the termination of your employment.

Is maternity allowance a social security benefit?

If you don't meet the requirements for statutory maternity pay, you can apply for and receive a maternity allowance instead. To be eligible, you must have been pregnant for at least 26 weeks. Payments will begin no more than 11 weeks before your child is born. This maternity benefit is paid for a total of 14 weeks and is taxable.

You can find more information on the Social Security website.

Do self-employed people get social security benefits?

If you are self-employed, you are not automatically a member of the social security system. You can choose to opt-in to social security, but you are not obliged to do so. If you opt-in, you will have to pay social security contributions.

De-registering from social security practice

It is not uncommon for employees to deregister for a variety of reasons. For example, health insurance companies require employees with longer illness and convalescence periods to deregister.

The same procedure applies when an employee takes longer unpaid leave (over a month). A corresponding report must be submitted at the end of the month (reason 34). The employee is obliged to register again on the first day of work.

This section will also find a lot of information about outstanding wage payments, including casual and mini-jobs and seasonal work. You must also deregister if you have not received any wages for more than a month. Even if the employment relationship continues, it is considered interrupted as long as the wages have not been paid.

In addition, the date of the respective reports is inconsistent. Deregistration usually takes place on the 28th or 29th of the month, especially if the deregistration falls on a weekend (dismissal, interruption of work, change of health insurance, etc.). In general, you must de register by the end of each calendar month if you start work after the 1st or 29th of the following month. This creates an insurance gap that will result in losing your insurance coverage.

Eveline Jacobse

Written by:

Eveline Jacobse

Eveline is an experienced HR expert with a passion for content writing in the field. She has distinguished herself by sharing her in-depth knowledge and insights into HR topics and trends through articles that are both practical and informative. Her experience and expertise in human resources add value, and she continues to dedicate herself to informing and inspiring peers with her well-thought-out and well-founded content.


Please note that the information on our website is intended for general informational purposes and not as binding advice. The information on our website cannot be considered a substitute for legal and binding advice for any specific situation. While we strive to provide up-to-date and accurate information, we do not guarantee the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of the information on our website for any purpose. We are not liable for any damage or loss arising from the use of the information on our website.